Blog by Chloe Cartwright, BSW, RSW, ABR

<< back to article list

Immigrating to Alberta

If you are considering making Alberta your home, you have a number of immigration options to explore. Whether you are staying temporarily or permanently, you should evaluate all options and choose one which works best for you and your family. Check out the Alberta Government webpage and the Government of Canada website at for more information.  Please understand I am not an immigration consultant and the information given here is for use as a guide to navigating the system purely for your use in researching the best method for you and your family.  

Coming temporarily

You can experience life in Alberta by coming here temporarily. The Government of Canada offers programs for you to study or work temporarily.

Work in Alberta

Temporary Foreign Worker Program - You can work and live temporarily in Alberta through the Temporary Foreign Worker Program. You will first need a legitimate job offer from an employer who has an open LMO (labor market opinion) then you will need a work permit from Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC).

International Youth Exchange Programs - If you are between the ages of 18 and 35, you may qualify to work in Alberta through the International Youth Exchange Program. To see if your country has an agreement with Canada consult the list of participating countries and click on your country name.

Study in Alberta

Alberta is a great place to study.

  • While you study you may qualify to work on campus or off campus.
  • After graduation you may qualify to work on a Post-Graduation Work Permit. If you receive a Post-Graduation Work Permit you may be eligible to apply for permanent residence through the Alberta Government’s AINP International Graduate Category.

Permanent immigration

You can apply directly to Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC) under their different categories for permanent immigration:

  1. Skilled workers and professionals
  2. Canadian Experience Class
  3. Investors, entrepreneurs and self-employed people
  4. Sponsoring your family

Apply through the Alberta Immigrant Nominee Program

If you have the skills needed by Alberta, the Alberta Immigrant Nominee Program (AINP) may be an option for you. There are a number of options with different eligibility criteria:

  1. Employer Driven Stream (AINP)
  2. Strategic Recruitment Stream
  3. Family Stream
  4. Self-Employed Farmer Stream

Applying for permanent residence in Alberta through the AINP is a two-step process:

  • Step 1 - Apply to the AINP and be nominated.
  • Step 2 - Apply to CIC as a Provincial Nominee. CIC makes the final decision on all permanent resident applications.





blog comments powered by Disqus